The Aerogram’s coverage of chef and restaurant owner Asha Gomez piqued our interest and taste buds (“Queen of the Hill” by Sonia Chopra). To help hold you over until that road trip to Atlanta’s Cardamom Hill, here’s a recipe from Gomez. The recipe lists Indian eggplant, but have fun trying it out with whatever type you have on hand — the variety pictured, for example, appears to be Thai or Sri Lankan eggplant.
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp chopped ginger
1 cup shallots diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup water
1 tsp paprika
Salt and sugar to taste
How to make stuffed eggplant:
· Make 4 slits in the eggplant, keep stem intact.
· Deep fry eggplant, season with salt and set aside.
Making the paste:
· Heat the oil, add shallots, garlic, ginger and paprika and sauté until shallots are a golden brown.
· Add tomato paste and water, cook on low flame until the sauce is a beautiful thick paste.
· Stuff eggplant with the paste.