What would also be helpful for you to know:
• This is their brand new single, “Mother Is A Misanthrope,” and it is a riot grrl slab of harmonium-infused Spaghetti Western-esque indie rock that, in an ideal world, would help Shilpa et al. bust through to the highest echelons of rock ‘n’ roll. You know what, maybe Ray is just so rad that she transcends such echelons.
• It comes from their upcoming EP It’s All Self Fellatio, Shilpa Ray — the title is apparently lifted from a comment someone told Ray back-stage after a gig.
• They have a song about Paula Deen — at Nick Cave’s behest — on the new EP, too.
• Like you and me, Shilpa also had parents who pushed her into learning how to play musical instruments. She was forced to learn the harmonium. So she rebelled by learning how to play The Velvet Underground standards.
• She’s played on the same bills as Elvis Costello and Patti Smith.
• She’s a proud feminist: “I think Feminism in America went through a huge backlash during the W. Bush years. We are now going through a cool Renaisance. There are tons of amazing female musicians and artists on the scene with something to contribute and it’s not cheesy, kitchy, or female centric. It’s universal. Now if we can get a woman into the presidency without it being a media circus…”