Watching The Golden Globes tonight? Of course you are. Then you probably noticed this TV spot for Microsoft’s Bing, the “fetch” of all search engines. The spot takes the stories of many strong women…and uses them to brand Bing’s identity, under the guise of “Celebrating the Heroic Women of 2013.” The spot’s been live for a couple weeks, but tonight it enjoys a huge audience, owing to the Globes. Its major misfire is the bizarre, if slipshod attempt at feminism. The spot cycles through the stories of strong women and in doing so, ends up likening Malala Yousafzai’s near-death experience to Margaret Thatcher’s political career and sets the whole thing to a song that sounds an awful lot like Katy Perry’s “Roar” — but isn’t.
- Previous story Hey Mister, That’s My Sister: The Pushpa Project on Gendercide
- Next story Experimenting with the Mainstream: Indie Actor Arjun Mathur
Support The Aerogram!Love what you're reading? Why not become a monthly subscriber? (Details.)
Get Updates of New Posts By Email!
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- Original Poetry: ‘An Archive of Consonants’ by Itisha Giri
- Original Poetry: Usman Ahmad’s ‘The Grave is our Sanctuary’
- Satire: An IYD Yoga Sequence to Embrace a Common Nationalist Heritage
- Facing India’s Nightmare: Confronting India’s Occupation of Kashmir & The Hindu Right
- Q&A With Kamil Ahsan — Editor of Barrelhouse Magazine’s Desi ‘Road Trips’ Issue
NewsletterWant to get occasional newsletters from The Aerogram in your inbox? Subscribe here.